Template

Monday, January 15, 2018

Corn Chowder and Shocking Discoveries

My husband dropped a bombshell on me a few days ago- a big one.
Something truly shocking.

After over nine years together he decided to tell me something major he'd never shared before...
corn chowder is one of his favorite things in the world.

Can you believe it?
Nine years!  It's like I don't even know the man.

Seriously though, I have cooked more meals than I can possibly begin to tally over that time and not once has he thought to tell me how much he'd enjoy it if I'd just make some simple corn chowder.

You know I had to right that wrong immediately.

The kids and I have both been on winter break, enjoying each other's company and adventuring together for the past few weeks.  I've taken full advantage of that time to cook up a storm, making everything from Crab Rangoon Pizza (ohmyyum!) to an Indian Feast for New Year's Eve.  In fact, I've gone from having a backlog of recipes I want to make to having a backlog of recipes I need to sit down and write about!  I've truly enjoyed my little respite with my babies.

That being said...I've missed school.
I know.
I'm sick.

What can I say, I'm just loving this experience so much.  As happy and content as I am as I write this,  curled up in pj pants next to my youngest on this chilly day, I'm also giddy inside at the thought of being back in class tomorrow morning.

Can I just go to school forever?
Is that a thing?
Because that would be the best job ever.

Anyway.  Life has been good lately.
It has also been cold- which means the weather has been perfect to make that corn chowder my husband has apparently been pining after for almost a decade.

I can honestly say I'd never attempted to make any kind of chowder before.  I've made plenty of soups before- Pumpkin Turkey Soup and Navy Bean Soup come immediately to mind.  There are undoubtedly few things better than standing on Fisherman's Wharf on a chilly afternoon eating a steaming hot bowl of clam chowder from a toasty and tangy San Francisco sourdough bread bowl.  Yet for some reason I've just never thought to make a chowder myself.
It certainly isn't any more difficult to make than any other variety of soup!

I found a recipe for corn chowder that incorporated kielbasa rather than the bacon or ham that many others use.
I'm a sucker for soups with sausage, it adds so much flavor to the broth!  Now...you know that I played with the recipe a little, because I'm me and 9 times out of 10 that's what I'm going to do.  The original recipe was a decent base, if a little bland, but with improvements this became one incredibly flavorful meal!  My husband and daughter are both still raving about it.

The man who says that corn chowder is his favorite soup?
Well, he says this is the best corn chowder he's ever eaten, so I'm going to take that as a compliment and make this one again and again!


2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 large jalapeño, minced
2 tsp minced garlic
2 red bell peppers, chopped
14 oz kielbasa, diced
2 (15.25 oz) cans whole kernel corn, undrained
2 cups water
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 lb yukon gold potatoes, cut into chunks
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/3 C milk
1/3 C heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne powder


1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion, jalapeño, garlic, bell peppers, and kielbasa in butter until veggies are tender and kielbasa is somewhat browned, 10 to 15 minutes.

2, Place half the corn in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Stir water, bouillon, potatoes, both whole and pureed corn, pepper and cumin into vegetable mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

3. Stir milk, cream, salt, chipotle chile powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne powder into soup. Simmer 20 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!