Template

Monday, May 14, 2018

Warm, Happy Days and Fruity Drinks

Full disclosure, I'm pretty much a wine girl.

I don't like beer.  I don't like super-sweet drinks.  I do enjoy a margarita on occasion, but overall?
Wine.  Sometimes I might even do something crazy and unexpected like order a dry white instead of a dry red!

I'm crazy predictable in this area.

Yet the happy warm-weather bug bit me the other day and when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to cook I found a recipe for a Blue Hawaiian.

They're just so pretty!
I had never tried one, but I do love a frozen, slushy drink once in a while.

So off I headed to the liquor store for some blue curaƧao (which the lady behind the counter excitedly pointed out that I had pronounced correctly- yay!) and cheap rum (because...I mean...why spend money on the good stuff when it's going in a blender with fruit juice?).


There's no prep for this, no cooking of simple syrup, no need to pre-freeze any of the ingredients.  Just toss it all in the trusty blender and press the power button.  The recipe said to garnish with pineapple and a maraschino cherry, which I did- but to be honest unless I was trying to impress someone I'd probably forgo that step in the future as I now have a mostly-full jar of maraschino cherries and a tupperware container of pineapple in my fridge.  :-)

These were fun and fruity- exactly what I was hoping for.  We did decide to double the rum as they were fairly weak to start with, but that may be just what you're looking for if you're lounging by the pool soaking up the sun.

I definitely see myself making these again the next time I'm looking for a fun, summery drink!


1 oz light rum (or to taste)
1 oz blue Curacao liqueur
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz cream of coconut
1 C crushed ice
1 pineapple slice
1 maraschino cherry

1. Combine rum, blue Curacao, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and 1 cup crushed ice in blender. Puree on high speed until smooth. Pour into chilled highball glass.

2. Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a maraschino cherry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!